The Association for Development Cooperation (AGEH) is the human resources service of German Catholics for Development Cooperation. In the Civil Peace Service (CPS), we offer you the opportunity to perform a meaningful role in collaboration with local peace workers. The CPS is a programme for peace-building and the prevention of violence in crisis and conflict regions. It advocates a world in which conflicts are settled without violence and supports partner organisations in all phases of conflicts including conflict prevention, violence mitigation and post-conflict rehabilitation. Together with church and civil-social partners in Cameroon, the AGEH aims to contribute to civil conflict transformation using CPS peace-building measures.
To accompany and support the organizational development and project design of various diocesan commissions and their parish groups as well as groups of interreligious dialogue in the church province of Garoua, at the earliest opportunity, we are looking for a
Social scientist for the Archdiocese of Garoua (m/f/d), Yaoundé, Cameroon
Your new field of activity
The church province of Garoua encompasses the three northern regions of Cameroon and the project covers three dioceses: Maroua Mokolo, Ngaoundéré and Garoua itself.
The Commission Justitia et Pax (CDJP) contributes to a more peaceful coexistence of the different ethnic groups in the region and works on behalf of the diocesan church in the area of justice and peace. The aim of the project is to mediate between local residents and displaced persons or refugees, thereby contributing to non-violent conflict transformation and strengthening peaceful coexistence. In dialogue with various groups of refugees and displaced persons, the current situation will be analysed intensively in order to jointly develop solutions for the future on this basis.
You will be responsible for the following tasks:
• You advise and support the establishment and monitoring of dialogue initiatives between local and immigrant populations in the church province of Garoua.
• You advise in project management and support the introduction of an impact-oriented planning, monitoring and evaluation system (PME), taking the differences between the dioceses involved into account.
• You develop training courses on peace-building measures, non-violent conflict transformation and advocacy, and train CDJP volunteers and trainers. In addition, you support the CDJP staff in accompanying the community committees and impart appropriate skills for a successful assignment.
• You support networking with similar dialogue initiatives between local residents and refugees at other ZFD partners.
• You are responsible for the proper spending and administration of funds on-site in accordance with the donor guidelines and the specifications of the AGEH. In doing so, you work in partnership with the partner organisation.
• You have completed a university degree in the field of social sciences, for example, and have at least two years of professional experience, ideally also in an African context. Further qualifications in law, psychology or sociology would be advantageous.
• You have knowledge and experience in organizational development, project management and advocacy related to work with refugees and displaced persons.
• You are very willing to travel in order to work in close contact with the network members.
• You do not shy away from cooperation even with simple structures of the diocesan church of Cameroon.
• You are a member of a Christian church, identify with the church profile of the AGEH and support the goals and concerns of church development cooperation convincingly.
• You are a citizen of the EU or Switzerland and speak French and English very well.
The offer of AGEH
• Individual and thorough preparation
• A three-year contract, social security and remuneration in accordance with the
German Development Aid Workers Act (Entwicklungshelfergesetz)
• Cultural, language or other professional training, as well as coaching and supervision, individual advice
• Work within the AGEH efficacy model
We look forward to receiving your application by July 12, 2019.
Please use our online application form on our job portal: https://jobs.ageh.de/public/bewerbung/?id=298
Your contact person:
Development Cooperation (AGEH e.V.)
PO Box 210128 | 50527 Cologne, Germany